In honor of Earth Day here’s a round up of my favorite eco-friendly finds for the home. I hope you like these pieces as much as I do!
A Beautifully Re-purposed Vintage Chair
1. Buying vintage furniture is environmentally friendly because vintage doesn’t require any energy or resources to manufacture. And by salvaging and re-purposing old vintage furniture that might otherwise be thrown away, you reduce waste which is definitely better for the environment. This beautiful dining chair was reupholstered using a vintage Kuba cloth which provides an interesting contrast to its French frame $975. Available at Jayson Home & Garden
Cute Eco-Friendly Fabrics
If you’re going to re-purpose old furniture, why not do it using a super cute eco-friendly fabric?
2. There was a void in the marketplace for stylish eco-friendly home furnishing fabrics but thanks to the newly launched Rubie Green you no longer have to sacrifice style in order to upholster your vintage finds responsibly. Rubie Green’s fabrics are made of certified organic cotton that is bleached using responsible methods, made with earth friendly dyes and finished with zero chemicals. Below is the "East Village" pattern which I love. Another cute style, the "Tillinghast", was recently featured in the March issue of Domino! The cost is $90/yard. Visit rubiegreen.com for more information.
Organic Weave Area Rug
3. This organic weave rug by Calvin Klein is handwoven and made of all-natural, reusable organic materials. It’s 100% wool with a organic cotton backing. Currently on sale for $1809.99 for an 8′x11′ size. (Originally $3580) Available at Macy’s.
Organic bedding products are much better than their non-organic competitors because they’re made free of chlorine, chemical dyes, pesticides and lots of other harsh products that are bad for the environment and for your skin. They’re also very soft and you can sleep peacefully knowing that you’ve made a conscious decision to "green" your life in a small way.
4. Left. This Organic Wool Comforter from Gaiam is filled with soft, chemical-free, humanely raised wool and is covered in 100% organic cotton. $249-$329. Available at Gaiam.
5. Right. Danny Seo’s Simply Green 250 Thread Count Organic Cotton Sheet Set is made of 100% organic cotton and comes in a reusable pouch. Its naturally dyed colors resist fading. $49.99 for a queen set. Available at JC Penney.
6. Bottom. Here you see several bedding items from Loop Organic, a cool new line of bed and bath linens that are made of 100% certified organic cotton and are made responsibly in a sweatshop-free environment. While Loop Organic’s offerings are at a slightly higher price point than those made by more mass market competitors, their collections have a stylish and sophisticated edge over the other organic cotton bedding options out there. Plus they’re incredibly soft. Organic Sateen Sheet Set, $177-$226. Woven Blanket, $100. Birch Accent Pillow, $100. Available at Vivavi.
Eco Friendly Paint
If you’re painting a room or a piece of furniture, low VOC or zero VOC paints are the way to go. VOC’s, or Volatile Organic Compounds, are carbon compounds that react to sunlight and release toxic chemicals into the air. VOC’s are also known to cause headaches, nausea, skin irritations, respiratory issues and lots of other health problems. Obviously, low VOC or zero VOC paints are much better for your body and for the environment.
7. Benjamin Moore introduced its Aura line of paints last year. Aura has one of the lowest VOC levels among other paints in the marketplace. It doesn’t have the toxic smell that most paints emit, it cleans up easily and it’s made with a proprietary Color Lock technology which produces beautiful pigments that resist fading. Visit myaurapaint.com for more information.
Companies that manufacture wallpapers from recycled materials are taking positive steps toward reducing their impact on the environment and preserving our natural resources. Here are two recycled wallpapers that are both stylish and responsibly made:
8. Left. Woodson & Rummerfield’s chic Charcoal Chrysanthemum Wallpaper is printed on recycled paper. It’s also made with low VOC vegetable inks and dyes. $80/roll. Sold in 3 roll minimums. Available at wandrlust.com.
9. Right. This Linda Barker Serenity Print wallpaper by Graham and Brown is made of 50% recycled material or from FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) certified managed forests. The spiral motif pattern combined with its metallic finish is sure to add glamour to any room. $60/roll. Available at Design Public.
Organic Bath Linens
West Elm offers a number of certified organic products including these cute items for the bath:
10. Left. These Organic Cotton Reversible Towels are super plush and rich in texture. They’re available in three color ways and the price is pretty easy on the wallet. Bath Towel, $22. Hand Towel, $14. Washcloth, $8.
11. Right. How cute are these Organic Cotton Bath Mats? My favorite is the Safari print (on bottom). $29 each. All items available at West Elm.
Eco-Friendly & Sustainable Furniture
Furniture made of eco-friendly and sustainable resources is quite expensive but is a great choice if you can afford it, as the production of such furniture is extremely beneficial to the environment.
13. This Santa Barbara Eco-Friendly Sectional by RC Green is the ultimate environmentally friendly sofa. It has an FSC certified wood
frame, features recycled steel hardware, is made
with non-toxic, water-based finish and adhesives, its cushions are made of
natural latex wrapped in organic wool, the pillows are made of natural feathers
and it’s available in a number of all natural upholstery options including cotton, linen,
hemp and bamboo. It doesn’t get any greener than this! $7700. Available at Vivavi.
14. I love this Novo Console table from Environment Furniture. The doors are made from 100-year old reclaimed Brazilian wood and the outer shell is made of FSC certified sustainably harvested mahogany. It has a very natural yet ultra modern look. My brother has this piece in his living room and it’s absolutely beautiful. It retails for $2295. Visit Environment Furniture’s website here for more information.
Recycled Glass Vases
As I mentioned, anything recycled is great for the environment because it reduces waste among other benefits. Here are some refreshing recycled glass vases that are perfect for your beautiful spring blooms:
14. Left. These pretty little Recycled Glass Balloon Vases each have a unique shape. $159 for a set of three. Also sold individually. Available at VivaTerra.
15. Right. These green Cabo Vases from Crate & Barrel are made of hand blown recycled glass. The small square vase can also double as a candle holder. Large Oval Vase, $29.95. Small Square Vase, $14.99. Available at Crate & Barrel.