de Gournay Wallpaper: Get The Look for Less

May 24, 2010 Inspiration & Ideas

miles redd br

A reader recently emailed me to ask if I could identify the wallpaper in this Miles Redd designed room which I posted here on the blog several times in the past…it’s one of my favorites! You may already be familiar with its maker but if not, this isn’t just any wallpaper… it’s de Gournay, an exquisite hand painted wallcovering which at a cost of around $650 and up per panel, is truly a luxury. The brand specializes in reproductions of historic prints particularly 18th century Chinoiserie and 19th century French designs. Here are a few other example of genuine de Gournay goodness:

de gournay 3

de gournay 4

de gournay 2

Since a fine hand painted wall covering like de Gournay may be out of reach for many, here are some similar papers that can help you achieve the look for less:

1. Vanuatu Twilight. $198/roll available at Anthropologie.com.

863024_mul_b

2. The India Paper by Cole & Son. Approx $196/roll available to the trade through Lee Jofa.

Cole & Son The India Paper

3. “Newman” from Thibaut’s Gatehouse collection. Approx $104/roll available to the trade through Thibaut showrooms.

Newman-Gatehouse

4. Large Rose & Vine by The Wallpaper Company. $44.98/bolt at Home Depot.

Picture 7

5. Pattern #SW2AH189 from York Wallcovering. $29.99/roll. Available through Sherwin-Williams.

SW floral wallpaper

Top photo by Paul Costello

Adrienne

The Vanuatu Twilight wallpaper is gorgeous. I’ve always wanted to wallpaper the inside of a closet in Chinoiserie design (I know, no one would see, but just knowing it’s there would make me happy).

Sketch42

The Vanatu is really just Cole & Son’s Hummingbird paper… I dont know why they call it an “exclusive”!

I used it in my daughter’s bedroom… Its gorgeous!!!

KarenAnne White

I’ve been looking for the Vanuate Twlight wallpaper. It’s not available at Anthropogie. Since searching the counrty for it, I’ve found many beautiful and whimsical wallcoverings on your site. You have given me hope with your great selections.
KarenAnne

Camilla B

Any ideas on the fishes wallpaper? I love it!

leslie augur

have you seen anything similar to the CHANTILLY Gournay wallpaper?
thanks :)

tenzin bray

In response to Leslie,

Gracie Studios and Griffin and Wong have similar looks;

cheers

Maureen Manasco

Thank you so, so much. I absolutely require this look and was in despair over the budget. I am so incredibly thankful that you have shown me that this look is possible for so much less.
In gratitude,
Maureen

Stephanie

THANK YOU!!! I was looking for this!!!!With great difficulty in finding anything remotely decent!!! Thanks.

Anne holland

The Hummingbird wallpaper is actually a reproduction of the wallpaper from a bedroom in historic Blithewold Mansion, which a museum open to the public in Bristol Rhode Island. When I first saw it there I stopped in my tracks and just stared and stared. It is immeasurably lovely. If you get a chance to visit the mansion and its famous gardens I hope you do. It’s about 40 minutes from Newport RI, and easy to get to from Boston or Providence as its off of 195.